This privacy statement applies to personal information and other information:
- collected on the Utilities Disputes website: www.utilitiesdisputes.co.nz; and
- provided to the office through other means such as mail, telephone, and electronic messaging.
- Personal information is information about an identifiable individual and includes your name, address, email address, and telephone numbers. We collect information about you whenever you interact with us such as when you visit our website and enter information or when you contact us by telephone, email, post or in person.
- We do not collect personal information on this site unless you choose to give it to us. We may collect information you have provided to us, and information that others have provided with your consent.
- There are a few places on this site where you can choose to give us personal information, such as emailing an enquiry or complaint to us, or making a submission during public consultation.
- We do not collect personal information about you if you only browse our website.
Use and disclosure:
- We will only use personal information that you provide to us for the purposes for which you supplied it or, in certain situations, for other reasons allowed under the Privacy Act 2020. An example could be the use of aggregated or de-identified information to improve service delivery and performance management.
- We generally do not share your personal information with others unless this is necessary, for instance to look into a complaint or dispute. Occasionally the law requires us to disclose it (for instance to investigate a criminal offence), or there may be safety reasons for disclosing it.
- Utilities Disputes will hold personal information you provide. We may share this with third-party contractors who provide cloud-based server storage, administration, and improvement services.
- We are responsible for security of the personal information you have provided to us, regardless of where, or with whom, it is securely stored.
- If you make a submission to Utilities Disputes using public consultation, we are likely to publish your submission, as part of the consultation process.
- We may analyse non-identifiable web traffic data to improve our services.
- Utilities Disputes, and our domain administrator and cloud-based web-services provider, will hold the information you provide.
- New Zealand law governs the arrangements between us and our database provider.
Your rights and choices:
- We are happy to provide you with access to any personal information that we hold about you. If it is wrong, please ask us to correct it. To ask for access and correction, see our contact details.
- To protect everyone’s privacy, we may have to verify that you are who you say you are before we can give you access to, or change, information about you.
- You can ask for us to remove you from any of our mailing lists.
- You may opt out of any further contact from us.
- If we do not hold the information you are looking to access or correct, we will redirect you to the appropriate party.
- See the Privacy Commissioner's website for more information about your rights.
For any further explanations of what we do with your information, please contact us.
How to contact us
Alternatively, write to us at:
PO Box 5875
We last updated this page on 27 January 2021.